What is the Sir Colin Spedding Award?
The Sir Colin Spedding Award is presented annually to an exceptional unsung hero or heroine of the equestrian world. Any individual or organisation from any equestrian field in the UK is eligible, as long as their outstanding qualities have not been formally acknowledged elsewhere.
Who was Sir Colin Spedding?
Sir Colin Spedding was the founding chairman of the NEF and chaired the event for 20 years until his death in 2012. He ensured that representatives of all areas of the equine sphere were made welcome to the Forum, and that topics of general interest and concern could be discussed openly and amicably. The award was introduced in 2013, in his memory.
Why is the award a stag beetle?
The bronze sculpture of a stag beetle by Belinda Sillars was originally to have been awarded to the late Professor Sir Colin Spedding, in recognition of his services to the equine sector – most especially for his extraordinary commitment in founding and chairing the National Equine Forum. Sadly he died before it could be presented to him.
- 2022: Imran Atcha, for dedication in breaking down barriers to provide access to horses and other animals
- 2021: Claire Williams (Special Covid-19 Sir Colin Spedding Award), for support for the equestrian sector during the Covid-19 pandemic
- 2020: Eleanor Jones (joint winner), a welfare-driven equestrian journalist
- 2020: Nigel Oakley (joint winner), a tireless Suffolk Punch champion
- 2019: Gordon Wesley, a stalwart of the equine sector
- 2018: Dr Simon Curtis, for outstanding services to farriery and equine welfare
- 2017: Jim Green, pioneer of equine emergency rescue methodology and training
- 2016: Sue Martin BHSII, riding school and equestrian education champion
- 2015: Paul Greeves, Thoroughbred racing and breeding advocate
- 2014: Dr Andrew Waller, for the Animal Health Trust's Infectious Diseases Group in protecting the nation's equines
- 2013: Martin Clunes, for the collective work of the UK Equine Welfare Charities during the winter of 2012
Pictures of all of the Sir Colin Spedding Award winners, along with the finalists from 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2022, can be found in the Roll of Honour.
More information about the Spedding Award can be found on the Podcasts page.
To celebrate the Sir Colin Spedding Award and those who have received it, we include a Memorial Lecture within the programme when appropriate. The lecture can be given by the winner of the Award, or by someone with a connection to them. Details can be found on the Memorial Lectures page.
How do I nominate someone?
Nominations for the Sir Colin Spedding Award 2023 closed at 12 noon (BST), Sunday 31st July 2022. Nominations for the Sir Colin Spedding Award 2024 will open in March 2023 - please go to our nominations page after that time to submit details.
The NEF Spedding Award Sub-committee will produce a shortlist of nominations, from which the winner will be selected by the Organising Committee. The winner, together with any final shortlisted nominees, are invited to attend the next National Equine Forum, where the Award will be formally presented. Please note, the shortlist and ultimate decisions will be final and the National Equine Forum will not enter into any discussion.